What makes our school truly unique is our service learning focus. Children participate in age appropriate service projects and spend time building the background knowledge to understand its importance. Preschool aged children are natural helpers and we want to teach our children to not only notice how things could be better in the community but to take an active role in changing it.
What is service-learning?
Service-learning is a teaching method that combines service to the community with classroom teaching. It is more than community service. It is a hands-on approach to learning subject material while encouraging responsibility to the community. You can find more about service-learning here!
- Builds strong academic skills
- Encourages students to take an active role in accomplishing a project
- Creates interest and excitement for learning
- Accommodates many different learning styles
- Teaches students early about the role they can play in their community
- Encourages lifelong civic participation
- Gives students a sense of importance and connection to their community
- A canned food drive for the local community
- Planting a garden or trees to beautify surroundings
- Regular visits with nearby nursing home residents
- Creating activity bags for hospitalized children
- Collecting clothing or toys for children in shelters